Posted by amanita on January 08 2008 16:45
What is the New York Mycological Society?
The NYMS is a nonprofit organization of members who share an interest in mycology (the study of mushrooms and fungi) as well as in mycophagy (the eating of mushrooms). The present NYMS was reincarnated some 40 years ago by the composer John Cage and a small group of other mushroom lovers and students.
How can I join?
Download a membership application here, complete it, and send it with your check to our Treasurer at the address on the form.
Why should I join The NYMS?
There are several reasons why you may want to join the Society:
- Members don't pay anything to go on mushroom walks and only members can go to our early Spring Morel Breakfast and morel hunts.
- We also have a couple of weekend foray events for members only.
- Our annual Society dinner price for members is $10 less than guests.
- And we have occasional tastings and lectures that only members will know about.
- Our summer and fall mushroom ID sessions are only for members.
- Also, NYMS members are eligible to attend Northeast Mycological Federation Forays.
- Members also receive the quarterly newsletter.
- Members receive a discounted membership rate for NAMA
- AND they have access to the FULL content on the website, including a member forum, personal photo galleries, electronic versions of the newsletters, articles and more.